I recently jumped ship from my ATT Fuze to the iPhone – in reality it was a jump from the Windows Mobile OS to the iPhone OS. All my reasons for the change are worthy of a few standalone blog posts, but in brief I was looking to simplify my life and the iPhone fit the bill. That being said, I do have needs. I need my cell phone to do a little more than just make calls – including handle Exchange email, POP and IMAP email, browse the web, provide remote access to the servers at work, and act as a modem on the road. The ATT version iPhone does all of this EXCEPT the last. ATT iPhones do not offer tethering and that’s a deal breaker for me, so I turned to the internet and jailbreaking.
Easier said than done of course. It seems I had the perfect storm of issues to prevent me from getting a clean break. But I pulled info from several different sites and finally got it working beautifully. Since it was such a pain to get through it all, I thought I’d pull it all together here. Note that I cannot guarantee this will work on the 3G or the iPod Touch. I should also note this is not a sanctioned activity by Apple and if you screw it up they will not help you. Additionally, if you screw it up, I will not help you either.
First my system specs:
- Windows 7 64-bit
- HP EliteBook 8530w
- iTunes 18.104.22.168
- iPhone 3GS
Now the steps…
Preparation (with iPhone NOT attached to computer):
- Make sure you have a complete sync/backup of your phone (if you care about keeping any of it) using iTunes.
- Download the latest clean Apple firmware from here: iphone3gs3. This is just in case it all goes wrong and you need to to recover your phone. To use it, hold the shift key while clicking the Restore button in iTunes. This will prompt you to pick a file.
- Download the latest version of Blackra1n from here: blackra1n.com and place it in the root of your C: drive.
- Change the properties of the blackra1n.exe to be compatible with Windows XP SP2 and check the box to run as administrator.
- In iTunes, turn off automatic syncing:
- Now close iTunes and go to the Task Manager and end the iPodService.exe and the iTunesHelper.exe processes.
- Now attach the iPhone to the computer via USB. iTunes should NOT fire up.
- Watch this YouTube Video several times:
- Following the instructions in the video above, run Blackra1n.exe, holding down the power and home buttons, releasing them as instructed. THIS IS THE KEY – IF YOU READ THIS and wonder what I’m talking about WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN.
- Trusting that you followed the steps correctly, Blackra1n should be installed on your iPhone. Find the app and run it.
- Install SNOW to Unlock the phone.
- You phone is now Jailbroken and to be modified for tethering.
- In Safari on the iPhone, goto http://tr.im/oS1h and scroll down to the Mobileconfigs section:
- Download Mobileconfigs, select your country, and then your carrier. The message reads: “IMPORTANT: The authenticity os “US AT&T” cannot be verified. Installing this profile will change settings on your iPhone.” Changing settings is exactly what we’re trying to do. Confirm with “Intall Now”.
- NOW, on the iPhone go to Settings>>General>>Network and you will see a new option for Internet Tethering.
- Turn that on and you are done!